Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Top 5 Places to Enjoy Old Time Radio

The golden age of radio was a rich and colorful time in American history. In fact, it can be argued that many classics of the time gave birth to the movies and television series we enjoy today!

I must confess that this old art form holds a special place in my heart. My younger years were filled with episodes of the heart-warming stories of 'Lassie' and the fantastical adventures of the 'Wizard of Oz.' These old radio shows had a huge impact on my life which is why until this very day, I still have a deep love for old time radio.

The fact that old radio shows are rapidly becoming popular among avid radio fans warms my heart. With today's technology, syndicated serials from yesteryear have become available and accessible to this niche market. This same popularity has pushed old time radio to the forefront of many other areas in society and has expanded its reach and use beyond simple entertainment.

Hospitals have started utilizing old radio programs in the rehabilitation of their patients. It has been noted that listening to classic shows helps speed up their recovery time. Old time radio has the advantage of keeping them entertained without taxing or stressing them out unlike television.

Radio drama anthologies or detective mysteries have also played a huge part in lifting the spirits of elderly retirees in an Old Folk's Home. Immersing themselves in old radio shows provides them with a way to stroll down memory lane and remember the best years of their life.

Learning about history has also become fun with the unique approach of using old time radio as an educational tool. By listening to serials geared towards world wars I & II, the interest of a student becomes hooked by this interactive method.

On a personal level, I believe that old radio programs are best enjoyed at home. I find that it is easier to concentrate and imagine the exploits of 'Flash Gordon' on my Mp3 player while puttering about in the kitchen or tinkering with my gardening tools in the shed.

Another great place to enjoy the hits of the golden age of radio is while traveling. In fact, I believe that this is an avenue that greatly benefits from old radio shows the most. Commuting to and from work is no longer boring when I'm tuned in to the amazing world of my all-time hero, 'Superman.'

I'm a big fan of Old Time Radio.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment