Thursday, June 30, 2011

Hurley By Weezer

Record Label: Epitaph
Release Date: September 14, 2010
Parental Advisory?: No

Weezer has held my interest for many years now, and what keeps me coming back is their consistency. Their debut album Weezer (the "Blue" album) will always have a place in my heart as one of the few CDs I will never tire of. Sixteen years and eight CDs later, the band still has it, with their latest album Hurley. Although they have become much more commercial (hitting huge popularity after release of 2000's Green album) it is impressive they have survived so long without changing their original sound.

Hurley, released September 14, 2010, looks like it may be their most commercialized album yet, featuring the popular character Hurley (actor Jorge Garcia) from TV's Lost. Surprisingly, though, this is their first release on an indie label since the old days of the Blue album. The lucky record label Epitaph records will have a great year, with just this release alone.

Judging the album by its cover, I was expecting an hour of easy going beachy tunes. Wrong! I was hit in the face with a pop rock anthem- a theme that follows through much of the CD. "Memories" kicks off the 10 tracks with catchy lyrics, childhood flashbacks and pop culture shout outs. It's a track that can easily get stuck in your head. Moving on, there is a great pattern of loud obnoxious sing-along songs closely followed by the softer side of singer Rivers Cuomo. The 2nd track is pretty forgettable, but track 3, "Trainwrecks" picks it back up and from there it gets better and better. The cleverly written track 5, "Where's my Sex?" brings humor, arrogance and overall ridiculous lyrics. It could very well be their next single. The mood is brought to a calmer side by track 7. "Hang On," is about love lost but not forgotten. The sound is reminiscent of The Smiths, and is easily my favorite song on the album. I was convinced Cuomo is a man in love and there is a one and only for him-until "Smart Girls" started up. Apparently he just wants lots and lots of smart girls. There is even a name role call much like Lou Bega's "Mambo No.5." Maybe he'll call out your name!

The CD ends with the perfectly placed track "Time Flies." The track has a bluegrass, toe-tapping feel that I swear Conner Oberst had something to do with. It's a happy song, despite its subject, and it gave me the warm feeling I was looking for from Weezer.

Overall, Hurley didn't let me down. The CD is more comparable to their last 2 albums Raditude from 2009 and the Red album from 2008. If you are a fan already, or are just looking for a feel-good CD, check it out. It wouldn't be the #1 CD I'd bring with me if I were stranded on a deserted island (a lame reference but I said it anyway!) but it wouldn't disappoint either. I think Hurley would approve.

If you want more great reviews, visit http://slackers.com/!


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment