Monday, August 1, 2011

The History of It All

Perhaps it's a reflection of my age. Well... I know it is. But it's obvious to me that history doesn't seem to be having an effect on Generation "why/who cares" as it did on previous eras of earthly occupants. It's very disconcerting when I speak to fellow Canadians who've never heard of the FLQ and how they caused the federal government to enforce the War Measures Act in 1970. Or to Americans of the similar generation who have no idea who G. Gordon Liddy is and what he and his cronies were caught doing just a few years later.

I'm not going to turn this into a political rant but am using the aforementioned examples as a segue into the regular subject matter of this forum: music & pop culture. I find it stunning that mentioning certain names from just a generation ago, names that were dominant in rock'n'roll music, draws looks of an authentic reaction of "Who?" while maintaining eye contact from those I question. It's jaw dropping to realize that no one under 40 has a copy of "Frampton Comes Alive." A lot of time has gone by very quickly. And music has developed in new, innovative ways. But don't sell yourselves short by denying the opportunity to a) discover what preceded your initial interest in music and b) expose these musicians and enjoy the talent they possess. Appreciate the time and place of where they were and what was going on around them that provided these songwriters with ideas and the musicians who helped interpret them.

The Beatles are as good a start as anywhere. True that Presley and Chuck Berry gave them the want to do what they did but The Beatles broke down barriers that most people didn't know existed. The Stones were more despicable than what we remember Guns'n'Roses were at their prime and what they wrote and played caused parents to want to hire assassins and have taken out. OK. I'm exaggerating but I'm just making a point. Artistic license, let's go with that! The Monterey Pop Festival in 1967 exposed Janis Joplin, Otis Redding, The Who and Jimi Hendrix, amongst others, to the masses who didn't belong to a cult following. Have you listened to Otis Redding sing? If Redding hadn't died 5 months later many people "in the know" believe he would have surpassed James Brown. Google him if you have to. And Woodstock 2 years later drove the nail through the board. Alvin Lee blazing through "I'm Goin' Home," with Ten Years After, was the first Randy Rhodes or Kirk Hammitt. (Please use only as a point of reference). I remember in high school my friends and I didn't acknowledge the existence of anyone who didn't listen to Hendrix.

Hearing bands like Humble Pie. Steve Marriott and company epitomized "hit the road and tear it up." Joe Perry has spoken about getting charged after cranking up Deep Purple's "Highway Star" just before he went to school in the morning. We knew every note of the full length version of "In A Gadda Da Vida." OK. That was a bit much. But it drove my father insane, to which now I have an appreciation for how he felt whenever I get "boom boxed." You know what I mean. Zeppelin dominated everywhere. I loved Grand Funk Railroad, the most dated sounding band from back then. And if you were born after 1960 you have no idea the shock and parental havoc David Bowie had on the world when he fronted "Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars." I've had several occasions to spend time with Spider's bassist Trevor Bolder in the past and he's told stories of having the Ku Klux Klan show up at their second U.S. gig. I'd love to talk to the booking agent who decided Memphis, Tennessee would be a good place to play.

So much was happening at the time. When Mott the Hoople released their 4th LP (the big black disc) "Brain Capers" I was exposed to a whole new version of the British Invasion, the previously mentioned Deep Purple, Bowie and Humble Pie. T Rex. Black Sabbath made us feel invincible (smile.) Uriah Heep, Jethro Tull were certainly different. Robin Trower. Queen started up. Listen to "Ogre Battle." I was never a fan of the "cosmic rock" side of things (Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd, Hawkwind, Gentle Giant) but they definitely had their fans. Rory Gallagher and Foghat gave it straight.

It's all about the history of it. Discover a past just "spewing" of talent. There are millions of Aerosmith fans but their early material is unknown to most of them. Listen to "The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust" and follow the directions printed on the album jacket: "TO BE PLAYED AT MAXIMUM VOLUME." Humble Pie delivered a thorough sample of rock, funk and blues. You must buy a Blu-Ray/DVD copy of "Ladies and Gentlemen, The Rolling Stones." They actually had distinctive harmonies and endings to their songs. Deep Purple's "Pictures of Home", Ten Years After's "I'd Love to Change the World", Chicago's "Feeling Stronger Everyday."

There is so much history that's available with the click of a mouse. I've been fortunate to have made friends with a few folks from back then and whenever we speak or email, new memories are recalled and shared. In the meantime take advantage of the easy access to these artists and understand their work. It's important. Depending on your taste start with Stevie Wonder's "Innervision," Rod Stewart's "Every Picture Tells A Story," "Mott" by Mott the Hoople, "The NewYork Dolls," the previously mentioned Ziggy or "Alladin Sane," "Nilsson Schmilsson," The Stones' "Exile on Main Street" and Springsteen's "Born to Run." "Meeting Across the River" makes you feel like you're there. Let me know what you discover.

Peace out!

I've led a life I wish I could "do over" but wouldn't trade the experiences I've had for any options I can think of. Visit my website http://rockbandsandartists.com/


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment